It’s arguably the world’s most nutritious grain, and most well-kept secret. Introducing the tiniest grain on earth- teff!
Native to Ethiopia, this gluten-free grain is packed with b-vitamins, fiber, protein, and minerals. It is also environmentally-friendly, requiring very little water to thrive and sprouts in just over a day. Just one pound of teff can grow an entire acre of the grain, while it takes 100 lbs or more of wheat berries to grow an acre of wheat.
Teff’s rich, nutty, molasses-like flavor makes it ideal for porridges, muffins, and cookies. Teff flour can be used in soups and gravies as a savory natural thickener. Look for it in your local health food store.
5 Health Benefits of Teff:
1. Teff is high in a resistant starch, which is a type of fiber that helps to balance blood sugar and manage diabetes. This benefit makes teff an ideal grain for weight loss, as high blood sugar levels will trigger your body to store fat. Stabilized blood sugar will help keep energy levels sustained and prevent sugar cravings.
2. Teff can help relax and soothe the muscles. Chances are you’ll find relief from restless leg, sleeping troubles, or muscle cramping if you eat teff regularly.
3. The minerals in teff can help reduce your risk of a stroke, as well as lower blood pressure and cholesterol.
4. Teff is extraordinarily high in copper, which is a vital mineral for energy production and properly functioning taste buds. Did you know that low copper levels can cause premature hair loss? Studies have found that increasing your copper intake can stop hair loss and premature greying, so eat your teff!
5. You cannot absorb copper without zinc, so of course nature always supplies a perfect balance in whole foods. The high zinc content found in teff is vital for immune system, tissue healing, and reproductive function. Low zinc levels can cause infertility in both men and women. A diet high in zinc can actually give you a great libido boost!
If you enjoyed this post, click FOLLOW BLOG to your left! 🙂