It’s always possible to eat healthy when you’re on a tight budget- and this is one of my favorite recipes for those times. High in vegetable protein, fiber, veggies, and complex carbs, this soup is an incredibly satisfying meal. This recipe will make 8-10 servings, and will end up costing you anywhere between $.25 and $.75 per serving.
- About 2 cups of dried beans, soaked and rinsed
- 1/2 cup barley, soaked and rinsed (omit if you are gluten free)
- 16 cups of purified water
- About 8 carrots, chopped
- About 5 celery stalks, chopped
- One small onion, chopped
- 1-3 tbsp Simply Organic All Purpose Seasoning
- Your favorite spices- such as parsley, chives, garlic, sea salt, black pepper, or a pinch of cayenne pepper powder
*Superfood boost: Add sea green flakes (I used dulse in this recipe) and turmeric powder
Bring your water to a boil in a large kettle and add your beans. Cook for about 30 minutes on medium heat, then add your veggies and barley. It will take an additional 30-60 minutes for the beans to be fully cooked, depending upon which ones you chose. Small beans like black eyed peas may only take 45 minutes to be done, whereas large beans like kidney beans may take up to 90 minutes. Once your beans are almost tender, add your desired seasonings. Taste before serving it to see if you need any additional spices.